International Students
ITT Technical Institute

Applying For A Visa

1. When to Apply
Since the student visa application process can take up to six months, the ITT Technical Institutes encourage you to begin the visa application process as soon as you receive your Form I-20 from the school.

2. Where to Apply
You should apply for your student visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country of permanent residence. Although you may apply at any U.S. consular office, it may be more difficult to qualify for a visa outside of the country of your permanent residence. You can find the address of the appropriate U.S. embassy or consulate office at

3. Required Documents
All of the following documents are required to apply for a student visa. The documentation requirements are, however, subject to change. Before you begin, please verify the requirements applicable to you by calling your local U.S. embassy or consulate.

  • A completed and signed application (Form DS-156). Blank forms are available without charge at all U.S. embassy and consular offices.
  • A receipt showing the visa application fee was paid.
  • A passport valid for travel to the U.S. and with validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the U.S.
  • One 2"x2" square photograph showing full face, without head covering, against a light background.
  • A Form I-20 from the DSO (Designated School Official) at your ITT Tech.
  • Evidence of your ability to provide sufficient funds for the first full year of study, including a copy of your financial affidavit and original copies of bank statements or sponsorship letters.

The consular officer must also be satisfied that, barring unforeseen circumstances, adequate funds will be available for each subsequent year of study from the same source or from one or more other specifically identified and reliable financial sources.

4. Additional Requirements
You must establish, to the satisfaction of the consular officer, that you have binding ties to a residence in a country other then the United States, that you have no intention of abandoning your country, and that you intend to depart the United States when you have completed your studies. It is impossible to specify the form of evidence that you should provide to make this demonstration, since applicant circumstances vary greatly.